Democracy Now! is an independent daily TV & radio news program, hosted by award-winning journalists Amy Goodman and Juan González. We provide daily global news headlines, in-depth interviews and investigative reports without any advertisements or government funding. Our programming shines a spotlight on corporate and government abuses of power and lifts up the stories of ordinary people working to make change in extraordinary times. Democracy Now! is live weekdays at 8am ET and available 24/7 through our website and podcasts.
Updated: 49 min 13 sec ago
Democracy Now! 2021-10-20 Wednesday
- Headlines for October 20, 2021
- Striketober: Labor Militancy Grows as U.S. Workers Walk Off the Job & IATSE Members Get Tentative Deal
- 10,000 Striking John Deere Workers Demand "Equitable" Pay & Benefits as Company Sees Record Profits
- "Dire Crisis of Poverty": NYC Taxi Drivers Launch Hunger Strike to Demand Relief from Medallion Debt
- Meet India Walton: Black Socialist on Democratic Ticket for Buffalo Mayor Snubbed by NY Dem Party
Democracy Now! 2021-10-19 Tuesday
- Headlines for October 19, 2021
- A Reluctant Warrior? An Examination of Gen. Colin Powell's Bloody Legacy from Iraq to Latin America
- "Second Chance": Deported to Haiti, Immigrant Activist Jean Montrevil Returns to U.S. on Special Parole
Democracy Now! 2021-10-18 Monday
- Headlines for October 18, 2021
- "Racism Plays a Major Part": Like in Flint, Lead Pipes Leave Benton Harbor, Michigan, with Toxic Water
- Pediatrician Welcomes Imminent Approval of COVID Vaccine for Kids 5-11 Amid Opposition to Mask Mandates
- As CIA Ramps Up Anti-China Actions, Why Doesn't Congress Oppose Biden's "New Cold War"?
Democracy Now! 2021-10-15 Friday
- Headlines for October 15, 2021
- "People vs. Fossil Fuels": Over 530 Arrested in Historic Indigenous-Led Climate Protests in D.C.
- A Death Trap? As 12th Prisoner Dies at NYC's Rikers Island, Calls Grow to Close World's Largest Jail
- "Long March for Justice" Underway Across New Jersey to Demand Police Reform, Reparations
Democracy Now! 2021-10-14 Thursday
- Headlines for October 14, 2021
- Snipers Fatally Attack Protesters in Beirut as Lebanon Reels from Devastating Economic Collapse
- Afghan Interpreter Who Rescued Biden in 2008 Is Evacuated from Afghanistan with His Family
- The Nation's John Nichols: Trump's Coup Nearly Succeeded. He Will Try Again in 2024
Democracy Now! 2021-10-13 Wednesday
- Headlines for October 13, 2021
- Family Searching for Migrant Father Who Went Missing in Texas Desert as Border Deaths Hit Record
- "Missing in Brooks County": Thousands of Migrants Denied Due Process at Border Have Died in Desert
As CIA Sets Up New Center for Intel on China, Where Is Congressional Dissent to Escalating Tensions?
In an extended interview about U.S.-China relations, Amy Goodman and Juan González speak with Ethan Paul, a former reporter with the South China Morning Post in Hong Kong who is now with the Quincy Institute for Responsible Statecraft. China’s military said Monday it conducted beach landing and assault drills in the province across from Taiwan. This comes as the CIA has set up a new mission center focused solely on China. On Thursday, CIA Director William Burns described China as “the most important geopolitical threat facing the United States.” Paul says there has been almost no “meaningful dissent among Democrats” in Congress about “the need to make sure that we don’t let this beast run out of control.”
Democracy Now! 2021-10-12 Tuesday
- Headlines for October 12, 2021
- Dayton Police Dragged Paraplegic Man Clifford Owensby from His Car; NAACP Says Arrest Was "Unlawful"
- Iraqi Journalist: Amid Low Election Turnout, "Iraq's Streets Littered with the Memories of Our Dead"
- As CIA Warns China "Most Important" Threat to U.S., Is Biden Pursuing a "New Cold War"?
Democracy Now! 2021-10-07 Thursday
- Headlines for October 07, 2021
- Federal Judge Blocks Texas Abortion Ban, Blasts "Offensive Deprivation of Such an Important Right"
- Abu Zubaydah Was Tortured for Years at CIA Black Sites. Biden Is Trying to Keep the Abuse Secret.
- Ethiopia: New Reports Expose Ethnic Cleansing & Illegal Arms Shipments on Commercial Flights
Democracy Now! 2021-10-06 Wednesday
- Headlines for October 06, 2021
- Facebook Whistleblower to Congress: Regulate Big Tech. Silicon Valley Can't Be Trusted to Police Itself
- Ticking Time Bombs: California Oil Spill Spurs New Calls to Ban Offshore Oil Drilling
- "Becoming Abolitionists": Derecka Purnell on Why Police Reform Is Not Enough to Protect Black Lives
Facebook whistleblower Frances Haugen reveals the company has long been aware of the negative effects of its technology; The Pandora Papers expose how the global elite hide their wealth in offshore tax havens. Get Democracy Now! delivered right to your inbox. Sign up for the Daily Digest: democracynow.org/subscribe
Democracy Now! 2021-10-04 Monday
- Headlines for October 04, 2021
- "We Demand Better": Reps. Cori Bush, Pramila Jayapal & Barbara Lee Share Their Own Abortion Stories
- Bans Off Our Bodies: Planned Parenthood Pres. on Abortion Bans, Bills in Congress & the Supreme Court
- "Blah, Blah, Blah": Youth Climate Activists Slam Political Inaction at U.N. Summit Ahead of COP26
We spend the hour looking at the life and legacy of Michael Ratner, the trailblazing human rights lawyer who died in 2016 and whose posthumous memoir was just published. Get Democracy Now! delivered right to your inbox. Sign up for the Daily Digest: democracynow.org/subscribe
Democracy Now! 2021-09-30 Thursday
- Headlines for September 30, 2021
- "A Moral Crisis": Reverend William Barber on Why Congress Must Pass $3.5 Trillion Bill
- Missing White Woman Syndrome: Media Obsess Over Some Cases as Black, Brown & Indigenous Women Ignored
In an extended interview with Yanis Varoufakis, member of the Greek Parliament and former finance minister of Greece, we discuss his new novel, “Another Now,” and why he chose to write fiction after years of nonfiction. “All my life as a lefty, I had to find ways of escaping the poignant question: 'If you don't like capitalism, what is your alternative?’” Varoufakis explains. Now 60 years old, he describes how he explored the answer through the characters in his book, some of whom are based on real people.
Democracy Now! 2021-09-29 Wednesday
- Headlines for September 29, 2021
- "Hold the Line!": Can Progressives Force Passage of $3.5T Package to Expand the Social Safety Net?
- Yanis Varoufakis on Angela Merkel's Legacy, European Politics & the "Sordid Arms Race" on the Seas
Democracy Now! 2021-09-28 Tuesday
- Headlines for September 28, 2021
- Justice for Black Women & Girls: R. Kelly Found Guilty in Sex Crimes Case After Decades of Abuse
- The Plot to Kill Julian Assange: Report Reveals CIA's Plan to Kidnap, Assassinate WikiLeaks Founder
- El Milagro Tortilla Workers Walk Out to Demand Fair Wages & Workload Amid Staff Shortage, COVID Deaths
Democracy Now! 2021-09-27 Monday
- Headlines for September 27, 2021
- Meet Mansoor Adayfi: I Was Kidnapped as a Teen, Sold to the CIA & Jailed at Guantánamo for 14 Years